Linux/cPanel : Common logs file paths

This is just a default and common path list of various log files. It can be changed based on the installations and customization. 

System logs

/var/log/messages       : General system activity
/var/log/auth.log           : Authentication logs
/var/log/secure            : Authentication logs in some distributions
/var/log/dmesg            : Driver messages
/var/log/kern.log          : Kernel logs
/var/log/cron.log          : Cron jobs log
/var/log/boot.log          : Logs recorded on system boot


/usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log : Access log
/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log : Requests and Errors log
/usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log : Login errors
/var/cpanel/accounting.log : Account activity audit log

Apache logs

/usr/local/apache/domlogs/ : The general access log for each domain configured with cPanel.

E-mail Logs 

/var/log/maillog             : Common mail log
/var/log/qmail/               : Qmail log directory




/var/lib/mysql/hostname.err     :  MySQL server error log for cPanel server 
/var/log/mysqld.log                     : Common error log


/var/log/xferlog                   : Contains logging information from the FTP server daemon

Direct Admin Control Panel

/var/log/httpd/domains/domainname.error.log              : Error Log
/var/log/httpd/domains/domainname.log                      : Custom Log



Other Logs

/var/log/lighttpd      : Lighttpd access and error logs directory
/var/log/yum.log     : Yum log files

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

Continue Reading

DA: Consider disabling the Folder Usage Count


This is actually a simple troubleshoot but I have googled it a lot and gone mad for hours to find it . Note that this was almost a year back and I think now it can be googled easily.

When logging into the Direct admin control panel you will encounter this error. 

Your connection has timed out
Details – Consider disabling the Folder Usage Count.


1) Edit /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf 


2) Edit /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue 


3) Run the following command

# /usr/local/directadmin/dataskq

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

Continue Reading

User stats in DA admin area

When one of our clients, Mr. Xavier opened an issue with us regarding the Usage stats not being shown, we were certain that this is a bug with DirectAdmin in the way how its license are read. We changed the ethernet_dev in directadmin.conf, but that didn’t work out.

Client was asking us,

In Admin Area –> Complete Usage Statistics –> Usage stats for venet0:0 is showing “None”

It’s possible to fix this to reflect the traffic of this virtual adapter?

DirectAdmin didn’t give a direct solution. Instead provided us with a complete packed files related to DirectAdmin. So the solution was this.

cd /usr/local/directadmin
wget -O new.tar.gz
tar xvzf new.tar.gz
./directadmin p
killall -9 directadmin
./directadmin d
/etc/init.d/directadmin restart

For anyone facing this issue. I didn’t check more deeper into what changed, but must be related to htmls in data page on how device gets read.

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

Continue Reading

About this blog

This blog, acts as a knowledge repository for the world and is unofficial! Anything we find interesting in the cyber world will go here. Most cases, this blog will reflect the happiness of our staff in reaching successful solution to an issue (s)he worked on. A reference for other fellow SAGEs who come across similar issues later